Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog! Every Friday, I'll be positing up a bit of fun, wisdom, and inspiration. Subscribe and enjoy- I'm glad you're here!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Your Summer Reading List (and mine too)

Ah, Summer.  That magical time of year when my home state will be flooded with pasty people who will suffer through the act of sitting in sand for the chance to not be pasty any more.

Frankly, I've never much understood that.  Even having grown up in the Sunshine State, I've never been much for the beach.  It's hot, which leads to sweating.  And it's sandy, which when mixed with sweat, creates an aweful "stick to everything" reaction that takes me a day or two to feel better about.  I love Florida as much as anyone can, but I'll never be a beach person.  Go figure.

I do, however, love books.  And knowing as I do that when you're waiting to not be pasty any more a good book can help pass the time, allow me to share with you my recomendations for your summer reading list.  Some of these are on mine as well.  Others I've already read.  All of them will make you smarter. And who couldn't use a little of that?

Small Giants, by Bo Birlingham
Bo's book is perhaps one of the greatest reads I've ever had the pleasure to find.  This book changed the course of my career by helping me understand the kind of company I wanted to work for.  If you want to really understand what makes great companies great, pick this one up.

Insanely Simple, by Ken Segall
I just finished this one recently and it is inspiring.  Ken offers a unique and insightful look into the Apple that Jobs built.  But it's his keen observations and how they can apply to your company, your team, and even your life that makes this book so worth while.

EntreLeadership, by Dave Ramsey
I've read the book, taken the course, and I will say again and again- this is how it's done.  Not theory, not some great "ideal" but the hands-on playbook of how to be a leader who wins.  You absolutely must read this if you want to lead.  Absolutely must.

How to Be a Presentation God, by Scott Schwertly
This was a surprising gem, and one of the most inspiring books I've read this past year.  Scott's direct, approachable style overlays one of the most powerful messages I've read in a long time.  Whether you present to anyone or not, this book is a great read on what it takes to inspire.

Linchpin, by Seth Godin
I'll never be able to recommend this one enough.  It changed my life.  It will change yours too.  I promise that.  Read it.

As for my next books; I'm in the middle of Start With Why by Simon Sinek and then Platform by Michael Hyatt is up in the queue.  If anyone has read either yet, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

So off you go.  Find some sand (or if you're like me, a hammock with a nice view) and enjoy.  And in the end, you'll have something that lasts much longer than tanlines; you'll have the knowledge to be a better you.


No comments:

Post a Comment